It’s been a while since I’ve posted… [insert excuses here]… sorry… blahblah… moving on…
We’re on a tight budget these days, and I’ve had a little bit of free time on my hands. With the holidays bearing down on us, I thought I might actually try to take on some of the crafty project ideas that I often come across on the internets. They always seem like such a good idea, and as a result I have a decent pinterest collection of DIY crafting suggestions that have long since been forgotten or ignored.
My first attempt was to make sage smudge sticks, as detailed here. Upon examining her method, I thought it looked pretty straight forward, and I definitely had all the materials needed (our two sage plants in the yard have grown like weeds). So on a particularly slow day, I went for it.
Well, maybe I won’t be adding sage smudge sticks to my stocking stuffer repertoire after all… First lesson learned: don’t conduct project in multiple stages. In other words, don’t cut all the sage and then let sit for a day or two. The sage will dry out and become not so easy to work with. This error will pretty much negatively impact every part of the project going forward.
Despite dry, cracking leaves, I carried on. I spent way too long picking the leaves off of the stems (while listening to Serial, of course), and then again left the project alone for a day or two, allowing the leaves to dry out even more.
I eventually returned to the project to separate the leaves into crackly piles of dryness, and then, you guessed it, left them alone to dry more. And this is where the dryness really takes a toll on the project. You see, the next and final step is to wrap each sage bundle in cotton string to hold the leaves together. If you did this with fresh, bendy leaves, I’d imagine it would work quite well. If you did this with parched, brittle leaves, I can confirm that it works quite poorly.
I had come so far – I needed to finish. So I took my ugly white cotton string (second lesson: do as the blog post you’re following says and get the nice brown twine and not the cheaper white kitchen string), and began to impatiently and indelicately wrap each bundle, cracking and crumbling the leaves as I went.
My finished products look like little mummified owl pellets that I’m sure my friends and family members will be thrilled to find in their stockings.
In more positive news, I did roast a humungous sweet meat squash and roasted the seeds in the Whole Foods salty herb mix that my mom buys by the gallon and shares with me. They were absolutely delicious, and I singlehandedly finished them all in one day.
Stay tuned for more embarrassing mishaps.